Say hello to the jeep wrangler that is best-known for its off-road capabilities. Prospective buyers must know these are usually equipped with the 4 wheel drive capabilities. When you throw in the 4 wheel drive, the power of the jeep increases, and you get an unstoppable vehicle. The question is – How to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive?
We shall answer this query in the elaborate post. Prospective buyers/existing users will learn how to put a jeep wrangler in a 4 wheel drive. Before we answer the question as mentioned above, let us tell you why the 4WD is preferred.
Firstly, a 4 Wheel Drive vehicle shall provide enhanced performance on and off the road. It offers improved traction on slippery roads. If you are an adventure-enthusiast who likes going off-road for some real action, then a 4 WD vehicle will be apt.
Hold that thought, mate! While your vehicle may have a 4WD, but every brand will have a different one. The differences between them may not be austere, but you must always read the manual. Let us cut to the chase and understand how do you put the jeep wrangler in a 4 WD.
The Real Usage of a 4 Wheel Drive
Novices must know that the 4 wheel drive is not utilized time and again. You can only use it in certain situations. Say that the vehicle needs improving or better traction; this is when the 4 WD comes into play.
Now think of a jeep that comes with a 4 WD. We can only imagine a mean machine that goes smoothly on rough terrains, beaches, and trails. Prospective buyers and existing users of jeeps must understand that having a 4 WD jeep is like being a part of an elite group.
Adventure seekers usually take jeeps on underdeveloped roads and rough terrains. How do you expect your jeep to perform brilliantly? With 4 WD, the jeep gets better traction in dangerous and slippery road conditions. It could be amidst the snow, rough terrains, rocks, beaches, and other complicated scenarios.
Let us say you plan a trip to the highest peak. Where there is ice and snowfall, the road tends to get slippery. For such road trips, you need a jeep with a 4 WD. It will keep you safe and sound! Also, it drives better in poor road conditions.
In this case, you must have to know how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive. The 4 WD engages both the wheels of the vehicle and the end result is that the control is getting better & better.
If you are someone who likes to go on expeditions such as off-road trips, then a jeep with 4WD is the right choice. Now let us move on to the next sections that discuss the two types of 4 wheel drives. We should also take a look at the number of gears and their exact use.
The Gear Options You Must Know Of
- 2 Hi or 2 H – You can use it when the road conditions are dry. It is recommendable for everyday driving.
- 4 Hi or 4 H – This is when you need better traction on sand, dusty roads or snow. It gives additional stability to the vehicle.
- The 4 Lo or the 4 L – Do you require maximum traction? This combination is for rough or difficult roads. Get the gears in this position when you are on a rocky or muddy road situation. This is also meant for roads with deep snow or steep inclines. A low gear ratio is used in this gear. The end result is low speed but higher torque.
Now you must be fully aware of different gear combinations. It brings us to the next question – How do you switch gears on your robust Jeep Wrangler? Let’s find out in the next section.
Check out more: Best jeep roof rack.
How to Switch Gears On Your Robust Jeep Wrangler?
It all boils down to shifting the gears efficiently. In this section, we shall understand the art of shifting gears on your robust jeep wrangler.
- Do you HAVE to change the gears? Firstly, you must be sure whether you need to change the gear or not. Look at the road conditions. If there is a change in the condition, then you would need to change the gear. For example, you are driving on a perfect concrete road, and then suddenly you enter a road with puddles, snow, or cracks. This is when you would need to change the gear.
Note – Many people shift the gear without any rhyme or reason. You have to be sure that the gears need to be changed. This is only when the road conditions are bad or have a sudden change. On an entirely concrete road, there is no need to shift gears.
- The second step is to stop your vehicle. This is an essential step for changing the gear. You would need to engage the gear in a neutral position. While you are at 4 L to 4 H and i4H to 4L, keep your foot on the pedal. Now use the shift selector and put it in the position you want it in. Once you finished this job, move the selector to the final drive position and go ahead with a drive.
- Switching from 2H to 4H is important when the ground/road is slippery, wet, or just loose. You would need to switch to a full 4WD. All you need to do is pull the vehicle’s lever firmly but slowly. This helps you to swap to 4 Hi.
- In case you want maximum traction, then you would need to put the Wrangler to the 4 Low. All you need to do is slow down the jeep and keep the speed at 2-3 mph. Now keep the vehicle in neutral and pull your jeep’s lever back. Put it back into gear, and you are ready to head for an adventure!
Was that easy to follow? Please go step by step so that you are successful at the attempt.
Basic Do’s and Don’ts That You Must Abide By
Here’s a list of the do’s and don’ts that you must follow. As a novice or an adventure seeker, you must use these tips so that you can take full advantage of your vehicle.
- When you are on a slippery or cracked road, make good use of the 4H
- Always check the road condition! You do not need a 4WD if there is no change in the road conditions.
- Do not move from 2H to 4L or the other way round. This is not at all recommended for the drivers. Go from 2H to 4H and then put it on neutral to go all the way to 4L.
- When you are driving with 4L, you should not exceed the speed. Keep it less than 25mph.
- For 4H, the recommended speed is 45-50 mph. But, this is just for slippery, wet, and mucky roads.
- Never use the 4H or 4L for arid roads. The dry and paved roads are extremely dangerous for the 4H or 4L. It can lead to breakage and even heat-build-up.
- In case you wish to disengage the 4 wheel drive, then you must slow down. Shift the gear to a neutral position and then gradually push the vehicle’s lever to 4H. Put it back in gear and then move from 4H to 4L.
- Always check the manual before you start using the vehicle’s gear. Every vehicle comes with a user manual, and you must abide by the rules like you are reading the Bible.
Check out more: Best jeep wrangler LED headlights.
Jeep Wrangler with 4 WD in the snow
While you are in your jeep wrangler with 4WD drive in the snow you have to keep yourself secured from accidents. During winter the roads become slippery and roads become dangerous. You can follow the video to avoid any dangerous situation that could occur in the winter season. This Youtube video on the other hand you can term it as a life-saving video as you may learn how to drive a jeep wrangler with 4 WD during that difficult time.
4 Wheel drive is excellent for adventure seekers, and you must fully utilize it. However, it is our suggestion only to use it when there is a change in road conditions. Putting the right gear is extremely important! Once you learn the basics of changing the gear at the right time, you will be good to go!
We hope that the ‘how to put a jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive’ post helped you a great deal! When the 4WD gets engaged, your vehicle’s engine sends oodles of power directly to the transmission.
Before we end this post with a positive note – imagine your car being stuck in muck or mud. When you have a 2WD jeep, the wheel will keep spinning and you will be stuck! In this case, you need a jeep with a 4WD. It gives great traction and is fantastic for off-road driving.
If you are a true adventure junkie, do not head out with a jeep with 2WD. 4WD is a basic necessity especially when you are out for an adventure! It will increase your vehicle’s power and traction on difficult roads.
So, the immediate action for you is to put the jeep wrangler in 4 wheel drive. How are you going to do that? Just follow the steps mentioned earlier!
You may also like to visit our recent article of- How to Reset Viper Alarm?